Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Canton Flags

During our stay in Switzerland, we visited 21 of the 26 cantons. Interestingly, each of the five we did not visit borders France.

The flags are all square, just like the Swiss flag should be. They are shown in the order visited (in columns), I think.


The ones we visited (21 cantons, #2-22):
1. Switzerland
2. Zurich
3. Aargau
4. Solothurn
5. Bern

6. St. Gallen
7. Glarus
8. Fribourg
9. Vaud
10. Appenzell Ausserrhoden

11. Appenzell Innerrhoden
12. Thurgau
13. Lucern
14. Nidwalden
15. Uri

16. Schwyz
17. Zug
18. Ticino
19. Graubunden
20. Valais

21. Obwalden
22. Schaffhausen

The ones we did not visit (5 cantons, #23-27):
23. Geneva
24. Neuchatel
25. Jura
26. Basel-Stadt
27. Basel-Landschaft

If you got this far, you may be a nerd like me (Darin!). I think there are some very good flags. My favorite changes from day to day, but more days that not, the Bern flag is number one. As I told Bryan, some days it even surpasses the Swiss flag, but the Swiss flag is consistently my favorite.

But there are also some terrible ones. My least favorite is Ticino. Today Neuchatel is rubbing me wrong as well. I don't want to list all the others I don't really like because I'd love to read some other opinions. Follow this link for a better look, and a map, if you like.

2 comments:

darin said...

I certainly have made it this far and am here to claim my prize from the nerdry.

I'm not a fan of Ticino, but think it is a breath of fresh air compared to the drudgery that is Fribourg's flag. However, my vote for the most appalling is certainly Vaud. I've never been a fan of flags with writing/lettering on them. I must get that from the "Good Flag, Bad Flag" principles that are endorsed by the North American Vexillological Association.

darin said...

I forgot to mention those I actually do like! I'm with you on the vote for Switzerland as the consistently best flag.

I am also a fan of St. Gallen, Bern, and Thurgau, probably in that order, following Switzerland.

The prize for the X-factor flag definitely goes to Glarus!